11 Tips for writing a good and effective E-Mail
Are you sure that whatever mails you are writing are effective and worth reading?
Looking back at history, deals, promotions and communication were done through different mediums like they were having faith on verbal commitments, sending pigeons for letters, promotion was done by announcing through the mike on cycle etc. this all things were having limitations. As the revolution takes place everything is now online and email is the most important part of it. You May be surprised to know that a non effective mail gets totally ignored and Unnoticed. Hence, it's very important to know the art of email writing. Here's are the important keys to writing an email.
1. IDENTIFY THE PURPOSE :The very first step to be followed while writing an email is to identify the purpose of the mail you are writing. Slow down to think what the purpose of the email, make a clear picture of it in your mind of what all you to convey via this email.There will be no point writing a mail till the content you want to convey is not clear in your mind itself
2. WRITE A MEANINGFUL SUBJECT LINE : The very important element of the email is its subject.In order to make your mail readable, you should write an eye catching subject relevant to your message. A subject describes the content of your mail, never leave the subject blank. For example, if its an urgent attention mail then do mention it in the subject, if it is a discount mail then mention that in subject etc.
3. KEEP IT SIMPLE : In today's busy life no one will have the time to read all the mails they receive, so your mail should be simple. It should have everything point to point so that the reader's find it simple and less time consuming.So the best way you can follow is that instead of writing everything in paragraph's use sub points which are easy to read.
4. USE SIMPLE ENGLISH : Try using simple English as no one will have the time to open a dictionary and find the meaning of difficult English word. Using simple language will help mail to connect with maximum people.
5. YOUR MAIL SHOULD BE READABLE : The mail which you are sending should be readable without grammatical errors. A mail full of grammatical errors and in a non presentable form are a big NO! Also take care of the font size. Font size should not bet big or too small. Even some mails have many vibrant colorize text. These causes irritation to eyes. Maintain decent theme of your mail.
6. BE POLITE : The mail you send are a reflection of your professionalism, so avoid informal language and slang's. Always remember to close your message with regards. Mail is all about using words smartly. your message should be clear and point to point.
7. MENTION YOUR SIGNATURE IN THE END: Always remember to add your signature in the end of the mail (like your name, phone no. , company address etc. ) so that the reader can contact you easily in future.Adding an email signature to every email you send is an opportunity to promote your business.It makes more sense to have a simple,signature including the company logo.
8. AVOID USING ATTACHMENTS : Reader's may not have the time to read the content of your mail first and then download the attachment in it, so it's better not to attach anything rather use the most part of the attachment in the body of the mail only. Attach the attachment only if it is really required. Also mention in the body to go through attachment for so and so point, so readers can make up his mind to download the attachment or not.
9. RESPOND PROMPTLY : If you want others to read and then revert to your mail then you are also expected to do the same. So always revert to the emails which you receive. Do mention in your mail for the reader to revert as soon as possible.
10. USE ADVANCED DESIGNS :Your mail should be creative with good color sense,good font should be used and the images which are used in the mail should not be blurry.The design and the images should be very attractive.this small point will improve the quality of your mail.
11. PROOF READ : The most important part while writing a mail is to do a proper proof reading of it. Write the email using correct grammar and punctuation, and don’t forget the spell checker. Take a moment to review your mail for grammatical and punctuation error's before clicking the send button.
I hope this will help you to write a good and effective mail. Remember, E-Mail is a reflection of your professionalism as it represents you and your company through it. Happy mailing.
Mona is a passionate writer and a voracious reader. Her experience has been across diverse industry segments - animation, VFX, education industry and management consulting. She loves travelling and photography.